The city of Abbottabad is not only the capital but also the historical and natural crown of the Hazara Division. It is 4,120 feet above the sea level. It was founded in 1853 and named after Major James Abbot, the first Deputy Commissioner (March 1849-April 1853) of Hazara. J.A Donaid was the last Deputy Commissioner (September 27, 1905).The population of Abbottabad district is 722762. The area of Abbottabad City is around 800 acres with a population of 47825. It has the central position in Hazara with Mansehra in its north, Rawalpindi in the south, Muzaffarabad in the east and Haripur on the West.
The British maintained a sizeable military presence here, evidenced even today by the Pakistan Military Academy (PMA), which has remained as the major training academy for military officers. The PMA provided fame to Abbottabad for many years, prior to the recent development of the city, from a non-industrial backward area, to a busy modern business, economic and academic centre.
From a tourist point of view abbottabad is noted for its verdant parks, gardens, golf course and pine covered hills, apart from this it is full of educational institutions and Academies. Its importance lies in the fact that it serves as an important gateway to almost all-beautiful places in Pakistan. The formidable Karakorams & the enchanting Himalayas can be approached from Abbottabad.
Abbottabad has a natural beauty endowed by its location amid surrounding mountains and high altitude. It is neither too cold in winter, nor too hot in summer and enjoys a refreshing spring season. Gradually it has become one of the most sought after summer resorts of Pakistan
Thandiani – meaning cool place, situated only 24Km from Abbottabad. An ideal spot for a half-day excursion. The road is surfaced in good condition and is open most of the year. The road twists and turns climbing steeply to the top (2400m) you can take a number of steep walks through the mature pine forest.